With this project, I used OpenFrameworks particle systems to try and simulate an explosion.
A few things that I tweaked from the example code:
1. I set the firework particles from generating random colors to a more explosive red
2. I increased the circle radii from 2 to 20 pixels. This made the initial cluster look more tightly packed like a more realistic explosion.
3. changed the alpha from alpha-- to alpha++ and edited the velocity so that the particles would disperse in slow-mo and "fall" back to Earth once they're propelled. Very dramatic. Very Jerry Bruckheimer.
Here's the finished product
Github link here