This project was a redesign of my client's personal website. Her career was very multi-faceted and she offered many services. Because of the wide array of skills and experiences she had, it was difficult for the user to synthesize all the content. I revised and simplified her content strategy and focused on telling her story rather than listing her skills. The result was a more developed brand and cohesive experience for the user.
Primary Challenge: Create a content strategy
Secondary Challenge: Develop the client's brand through storytelling
Format: Desktop & Mobile Responsive
Pain Point #1 Information Overload
Trimming the fat
The original site (below) had a ton of content. I interviewed my client to get a handle on what she wanted to focus on. She'd done different types of speaking engagements in the past but I wanted her to focus on the types of work that she saw her self doing in the future. By framing the focus as future tense, it allowed us to eliminate a lot of the extra content and create a content strategy that allowed for growth in the direction that she was interested in going.
I refined the content to three categories: Speaker, Facilitator and Host/MC. I eliminated the counters and graphs and opted to show her personality through the content (photos, videos and graphics). She had some great high quality photos and I wanted them to feature more prominently so I added them as parallax background strips to divide the different sections.
Pain Point #2 Telling the Story
Visualizing the Story
My client had a very long bullet point list of all of her accomplishments and milestones from the past twenty years of her career. It was overwhelming and even though she had some very noteworthy honors, the format failed to call attention to it.
I created a timeline and worked with my client to narrow down eight events that she wanted to showcase. The timeline allows the user to see that her career spanned nearly 20 years, call out the most noteworthy achievements, give the user a quick idea of who she is and function as a visual walk through. I went with the flat design style because it reflected an aesthetic that the client wanted and had in her previous site.
Methodology: Concurrent think aloud; remote via video chat
Demographics: 5 females, 1 male; 4 non-profit workers, 2 tech workers
Subject selection: I recruited from within my professional network. I targeted workers from the non-profit industry in particular because that was my client's primary clientele.
To read the user test script and interview notes click here
Summary Findings: My primary concern was giving users a solid understanding of what type of work the client did. I assigned the subjects different scenarios and asked them all to complete task of contacting the client. I focused on scenarios that required the subjects to try and ascertain whether or not the client's skills and services matched their needs.
All of the subjects were successful in their wayfinding and when questioned about the types of services the client offered, all except for one were able to accurately describe the client's work. I was pleased to find that all of the subjects reported that they got the sense that the client had a lot of professional experience which was a major concern for the client. They also found the images and video content to be engaging and inviting. One of my subjects was actually interested in hiring the client.
There was some negative feedback on the style of some of the client's earlier branding on the book cover but the client was adamant about preserving it in the new site and felt very personally connected to it.